DATA ENGINEERING &
INNOVATION IS YOUR passion.
Closing: Until Filled
Location: Edmonton South (Hybrid)
You are a tech-savvy wizard who’s passionate about finding the right solutions and ensuring a smooth-running system environment. You are not afraid to pave the way for bigger and better things. As a Data Engineer for our AMA Data department, you’ll be responsible for the collecting, sorting, processing, and analyzing of huge sets of data. We are looking for someone whose primary focus will be on finding creative optimal solutions to use for these purposes, then maintaining, implementing, and monitoring them.
WHAT MOVES YOU
- You have good analytical and problem-solving skills for technology and business.
- You’re an excellent communicator and an even better listener — it’s probably why you’re also a great negotiator.
- You’re not only motivated to go above and beyond in your own role, you know how to motivate others and get everyone on board.
- You love being able to share your knowledge and experience to help others grow and excel in their careers.
- Your superior organizational skills leave no room for clutter — in your workspace or in your brain.
- You’re just as good at managing people as you are at managing projects, thanks to your upbeat attitude and ability to stay calm when others aren’t.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Report to the Data Engineering Team Lead.
- Design & implement solutions to enhance our customer’s experience.
- Meet with business partners to understand & gather requirements for strategic initiatives.
- Investigate new products, tools, and data technologies (Data Warehouse, Data Mining, ETL/ELT) to modernize the existing technology stack with the aim to add value to the business; ensure applications are on the right platform and that we’re in a sustainable position moving forward.
- Create and maintain data pipelines using ETL tools and custom scripts to extract, transform, and load data from various sources into the data warehouse.
- Perform data profiling and analysis to identify data trends, anomalies, and opportunities for data improvement.
- Build data models and schema designs for data warehouses.
- Identify technical debt/operational improvements & implement solutions.
- Use best practices to write well designed, testable, and efficient code.
- Collaborate with IT and business teams to identify and resolve data quality issues, ensuring data accuracy and consistency.
- Provide on-call support to monitor and troubleshoot data pipeline failures and issues, ensuring high availability of data processing.
WHAT YOU'VE DONE
- You have a university degree in computer science or computer engineering or equivalent.
- You have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in data analysis and/or business analysis.
- You are an expert with Relational Database engines such as SQL Server, Oracle, mySQL, etc.
- Proficiency with Cloud based Data Warehouses; Experience with Snowflake is a plus.
- Experience with ETL/ELT tools such as Attunity Replicate, DBT, and WhereScape RED is preferred.
- You have experience with Design & Engineering of Data Warehouses (Data Modelling, ETL, Data Cleansing, Data Enrichment).
- Experience with Business Intelligence technologies such as Power BI, Tableau, Pentaho, etc.
- Proven track record with the Kimball Methodology, Data Vault, and Agile Methodologies.
- Practical experience with software development and data engineering practices.
- Skilled with test driven development (TDD), continuous integration and deployment.
- Cloud based Data Warehouse Technologies (e.g., Snowflake, AWS Redshift, Google BigQuery)
- ETL Tools (e.g., DBT, Attunity Replicate and WhereScape RED)
- Languages (e.g., Python, SQL)
- Data Modeling and Database Design (e.g., Kimball Methodology, Data Vault)
- Data Governance and Security
- Real-time Data Streaming
- Cloud Services (e.g., AWS, Azure)
- Version Control (e.g., Git)
- Data Quality Assurance
- Automation and Scripting
- Performance Optimization
- Problem-solving and Troubleshooting
WHAT YOU'LL GET
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible benefits.
- Outstanding employer-paid Retirement Savings Program.
- Great AMA discounts.
- Unlimited learning opportunities.
- Paid vacation and floater day.
- Paid opportunities to serve your community through purpose-driven AMA events.
- Work-from-home options.