Drive INTO A CAREER THAT
OPENS EXCITING doors.
ADD ‘CEO’ TO YOUR CV
Always wanted to own your business but not sure where to start? How about with a trusted partner—one with nearly a century of experience serving Albertans. When you become a Contracted Driving Instructor for AMA Driver Education, you’ll enjoy the freedom of being your own boss, with the safety net of working with the largest driving school in the province.
As an AMA Driving Instructor, you’ll mitigate the risks of starting a small business while enjoying the rewards of teaching Albertans to drive—giving them the keys to independence, mobility and freedom. We’ll provide you with best-in-class instructor training, along with the flexibility to set your own schedule. You’ll wake up every day with a smile, knowing you’re making your community safer for everyone. Because you won’t just teach students to pass a test; you’ll set them up to be skilled, confident drivers for life.
PERKS OF BEING THE BOSS
- Flexibility to make your own hours and find the work-life balance you’ve been craving.
- The autonomy and freedom of operating your own small business, backed by the brand and support of AMA.
- Competitive hourly rate with the potential to earn up to $70,000 a year.
- Compensation for student pick-up and drop-off.
- An attractive bonus-pay incentive program.
- A meaningful career with the job satisfaction of turning novice students into independent and safe drivers.
SUPPORT FOR YOUR INVESTMENT
- Work with a driving school that gets 10,000+ student enrollments every year.
- Access to a free, comprehensive training program that gives you the skills to be a licensed Driving Instructor. (Note: a portion of the AMA training requires travel to Edmonton or Calgary.)
- Support and guidance from AMA Registries in setting up your small business.
- Learning workshops twice a year to ensure you’re always at the top of your game.
- Ongoing mentorship and coaching from our industry experts.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Start training as early as today to be up and running—fully licensed—in just three months (or less).
- Report to the Chief Instructor/Senior Instructor (think of AMA almost like a board member or investor in your small business).
- Provide quality vehicle instruction to students, following AMA’s instruction requirements and customer service standards.
- Provide constructive feedback on student drivers’ abilities, helping them develop the confidence and skills necessary to become a licensed, safe driver for life.
- Be responsible for student scheduling and submission of daily paperwork.
- Follow Alberta Transportation guidelines and policies for driving instructors.
- Be available evenings and weekends, as student needs require.
- You have your Provincial Vehicle Instructor Licence from Alberta Transportation. (Don’t worry, training will be provided to suitable candidates that don’t have this certification.)
- You own a vehicle that’s no more than six years old.
- You’ll update your vehicle with the required brakes, mirrors, removable roof sign, and door magnets. The latter two are provided for free by AMA, while the brakes and mirrors cost $456.78 (including tax). Should you decide to end your contract, we’ll buy them back!
- You’re able to obtain the required insurance coverage for driving instructors.
- You have a clean driver’s abstract.
OUR IDEAL PARTNER
- You’re positive, upbeat and love being around people — but when it comes to driving, you’re serious about staying safe and a stickler for following the rules of the road.
- You take pride in your driving behaviour and seek to be a model of excellence—even when no one is watching.
- You remain calm in stressful situations. Developing confident new drivers takes patience.
- You have excellent verbal communication skills and a professional appearance.
- You want a career where no two days are alike, and you’re always meeting new people.
- You’re passionate about customer experience.
- You’re a natural teacher who enjoys answering questions—even ones you’ve heard a few times in a day.
- You understand that every student is unique, so you always look for the best ways to share information in the most effective way.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.