YOU’RE JUST AS GOOD WITH people AS YOU
ARE WITH numbers
Closing: Until filled
As the Controller, Insurance Services, you would be responsible for the management of the Finance department including financial and regulatory reporting, accounting operations, and budgeting and planning functions. The Controller establishes and manages financial policies and procedures, accounting practices, and the maintenance of fiscal records. These policies and procedures encompass fiduciary responsibilities, risk management, and internal controls. The position also provides direction on implementing new business initiatives and business process re-engineering. In addition to technical proficiency with Accounting and Risk, the Controller will also lead the team, using motivation and inspiration.
WHAT MOVES YOU
- You’re driven by a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- You’re not one to make snap judgments - you look at an issue from all angles before making a decision.
- Not only are you always ready to take the initiative, you’re adept at managing multiple tasks and deadlines successfully.
- Your excellent communication skills make it easy for you to connect with and support others.
- You’re a strong leader who enjoys managing people and managing work.
- You are adept at using accounting systems and designing efficient and effective processes.
- You have exemplary time management skills, therefore always deliver on time.
- You’re eager to use your financial and risk knowledge, strong analytical mind and problem-solving skills to contribute to the organization.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Reporting to the Vice President, Finance and Risk
- Assist in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of strategic direction, goals, objectives, plans, and budgets
- Responsible for the timely and accurate reporting of financial information, ensuring adherence with International Financial Reporting Standards, and corporate policies and procedures
- Oversees the development of, and continual monitoring of operating and capital budgets
- Accountable for the development and monitoring of adequate internal controls as they relate to financial functions and within internal control framework
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of insurance accounting and regulatory requirements; first port of call for questions of principle from junior staff
- Responsible for the monitoring and reporting of regulatory ratios, regulatory filings, and Board approved policies
- Work collaboratively with both internal and external customers of Insurance Services and AMA for the attainment of departmental and organizational goals
- Oversee the preparation of financial results and present to executive, management and board members, as directed
- Builds, manages, and sustains internal relationships with relevant stakeholders and senior colleagues across the organization
WHAT YOU’VE DONE
- You have a Post-secondary degree, certificate or diploma in Accounting or Business
- You hold a recognized accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA, CPA)
- You have a minimum 10 years management experience in a financial analysis, decision support or Controllership role
- Accounting experience in a regulated financial institution would be an asset
- In-depth understanding of internal controls
- Experience in implementing and managing financial and information systems with an understanding in the areas of financial reporting and information technology
- Proven ability to prepare and analyze financial statements, budgets, and year end documents
- Strong planning, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to effectively manage people and measure work
WHAT YOU’LL GET
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible benefits.
- Outstanding employer-paid Pension Plan.
- Great AMA discounts.
- Unlimited learning opportunities.
- Paid vacation and floater day.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.