WE ARE LOOKING FOR A forward-thinking, forward-doing LEADER
Closing: Until Filled
Location: Hybrid (Edmonton Kingsway/Remote)
You’ve been passionate about technology and computers for as long as you can remember (even as a kid, you were the family’s go-to tech whiz). You love the idea of turning ideas into real applications and have a burning desire to seek out innovative business solutions that exceed your client’s needs.
We’re looking for someone to lead and coach a team of talented Application Developers. Someone who will be responsible for translating software requirements into working software and can code, maintain, enhance, develop and test applications for use in AMA. Not many people get to build applications for 1 million Albertans. We get to do it every single day.
WHAT MOVES YOU
- You’re a strong communicator…when you talk, others are interested in listening.
- You’re an application developer at heart and terms like AGILE and Single-Page Applications are music to your soul.
- You employ a DevOps mindset to consider automated regression tests and CI/CD pipelines.
- You handle even the tightest deadlines with a cool head and clear vision.
- You love to share thoughts and ideas – after all, two heads are always better than one.
- Finding simple solutions to complicated problems and explaining them to others comes as naturally to you as breathing.
- Cloud computing is a way of life.
- You believe that a team is greater than the sum of its parts.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Reporting to the Manager, Applications, Insurance Company, you’ll provide guidance to a team of application developers who are responsible for supporting, maintaining and enhancing existing business applications.
- Write well-designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices.
- Create user-centric applications by considering customer feedback, technical constraints, opportunities and usability findings.
- Participate in the design and implementation of standards, tools and methodologies.
- Recommend areas appropriate for further study and participate in any Proof of Concept projects required to investigate architectural possibilities.
- Ensure all application changes are developed, tested, and implemented in a well-controlled environment.
- Collaborate with agile team architects that are part of each initiative to create a conceptual/sequence MVP and future architecture diagrams and accompanying documentation.
- We follow a Scrum process that includes two-week sprints, planning, demos, and retrospectives. This allows us to jump on features together, push them through to completion, and start something new.
- We work across multiple lines of business, on both internal and public facing applications. That means we learn a lot, our work stays interesting, and we get a lot done.
- You’ll develop partnerships with business units to better understand needs and priorities in order to best develop, enhance and maintain AMA business applications.
- You'll help your team level up, and empower them to achieve their goals on a continual basis.
- You'll foster an environment where learning is constant, collaboration is the norm, sharing is key, and mistakes are lessons and not failures.
- Perform leadership duties such as time-tracking, performance reviews, mentoring, and coaching.
WHAT YOU'VE DONE
- You have a university degree or technical school diploma in Information Technology or Computer Science. Have a degree in something else? Tell us about it and why it’s relevant to your career as an IT professional.
- You already have at least six (6) years of related application development experience under your belt. You'll get bonus points if you love to experiment with new things, have worked with new technology, and have leadership experience, official or otherwise.
- You’re always exploring new technology. You think we should replace our auto quote process with a chat bot, or call a tow truck with Alexa. Give it a shot!
- You know how to build strong business relationships with clients and members of the team.
- Experience with some of the following tech will help you hit the ground running: Java, .NET, C#, Angular, React, AWS, Azure, and SQL.
- Bonus points if you have experience working on an insurance platform and extra bonus points if that platform is Guidewire!
WHAT YOU'LL GET
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible benefits.
- Outstanding employer-paid Defined Pension Plan.
- Great AMA discounts.
- Unlimited learning opportunities.
- Paid vacation and floater day.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.