WE ARE LOOKING FOR A forward-thinking,
Closing: Until filled
Location: Edmonton South (Work from Home OR Office)
You’ve been passionate about technology and computers for as long as you can remember (even as a kid, you were the family’s go-to tech whiz). You love the idea of turning ideas into real applications and have a burning desire to seek out innovative business solutions that exceed your client’s needs.
We’re looking for someone to lead and coach a team of talented Application Developers. Someone who will be responsible for translating software requirements into working software and can code, maintain, enhance, develop and test applications for use in AMA. Not many people get to build applications for 1 million Albertans. We get to do it every single day.
WHAT MOVES YOU
- You’re a strong communicator…when you talk, others are interested in listening.
- You’re an application developer at heart and terms like Agile, Microservices and Single-Page Applications are music to your soul.
- You employ a DevOps mindset to deliver 0 downtime deployments, automated regression tests, CI/CD pipelines, and automated monitoring.
- You handle even the tightest deadlines with a cool head and clear vision.
- You love to share thoughts and ideas – after all, two heads are always better than one.
- Finding simple solutions to complicated problems and explaining them to others comes as naturally to you as breathing.
- Cloud computing is a way of life.
- You believe that a team is greater than the sum of its parts.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Reporting to the Senior Manager, Software Development you’ll provide guidance to a team of application developers who are responsible for supporting, maintaining and enhancing existing business applications.
- Help your team level up and empower them to achieve their goals on a continual basis.
- Foster an environment where learning is constant, collaboration is the norm, sharing is key, and mistakes are lessons and not failures.
- Develop partnerships with business units to better understand needs and priorities in order to best develop, enhance and maintain AMA business applications.
- Write well-designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices.
- Create user-centric applications by considering customer feedback, technical constraints, opportunities and usability findings.
- Participate in the design and implementation of standards, tools and methodologies.
- Recommend areas appropriate for further study and participate in any Proof of Concept projects required to investigate architectural possibilities.
- Ensure all application changes are developed, tested, and implemented in a well-controlled environment.
- We follow a Scrum process that includes two-week sprints, planning, demos, and retrospectives. This allows us to jump on features together, push them through to completion, and start something new.
- We work across multiple lines of business, on internal facing applications. That means we learn a lot, our work stays interesting, and we get a lot done.
WHAT YOU'VE DONE
- You have a university degree or technical school diploma in Information Technology or Computer Science. Have a degree in something else? Tell us about it and why it’s relevant to your career as an IT professional.
- You already have at least eight (8) years of related application development experience under your belt. You’ll get bonus points if you love to experiment with new things, have worked with new technology, and have leadership experience, official or otherwise.
- You’re always exploring new technology. You think we should replace our auto quote process with a chat bot, or call a tow truck with Alexa. Give it a shot!
- You know how to build strong business relationships with clients and members of the team.
- You have extensive experience with some of the following:
- React, Node.js, TypeScript
- AWS experience with CDK, CloudFormation, Lambda, and CodePipeline.
- Full web stack (HTTP, cookies, caching, browser rendering)
- Developing data-backed applications using a combination of REST, GraphQL, NoSQL and RDBMS technologies
- Microservice and serverless architectures
- Working with CI/CD pipelines
- Git (Azure DevOps, GitHub)
- You’ll get bonus points if you have:
- Experience leading a team
- Experience mentoring teammates
- Open-source contributions
WHAT YOU'LL GET
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible benefits.
- Outstanding employer-paid Defined Pension Plan.
- Unlimited learning opportunities.
- Paid vacation and floater day.
- Great AMA discounts.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.